20090328

Believing what they want to believe.



To begin with, people have to get over this preposterous notion that anything that comes from the mouth of a child has to be true. On the contrary—children spend most of their lives playing pretend. They will lie if it will get them attention. They will experiment to see what the reaction is.

Then you have extreme examples, like the one above. This is a group of hundreds of people listening to the "gospel" of a very young child. As a trained linguist, the fact that this kid has no fucking clue what he's saying is blindly obvious for more reasons than I can list, but let's start with the obvious: his body language shows that he is flat-out imitating people he has seen before. Children do not have the psychological capacity to be as passionate as this kid is about his message. No knock against the kid, it's not his fault, he doesn't have a chance.

On top of that, what twisted fucking world has a mass of adults taking cues from a young child on where we came from? How in holy hell would he know? He hasn't even hit puberty yet. He doesn't even know where he came from. For all he knows, he was born from unicorns. When I was his age, I was open to the possibility that I did come from monkeys, as in my actual parents were monkeys, and those people in the living room were just looking after me. I wasn't detached from reality; I was a normal five year old. What difference did it make to me where I actually came from?

Whoever made this video made the statement that this was child abuse. I disagree. I think that kid's having the time of his life. I'm 29 years old, and I still fantasize about preaching to a huge group of people. As far as what the kid thinks, I'm not worried... yet. Kids can believe anything when they're young, that's why we have the saying "grew out of it." Human psyche is very malleable at that age, and any "damage" done can fairly easily be undone, so long as it is within the threshold of what a child's mind can handle.

I'm more worried about the adults who are watching him. Their minds aren't as malleable. They are, in fact, beyond hope. They have been irreparably indoctrinated into this ridiculous cult, and if they were convinced tomorrow that all of this were untrue, they wouldn't be able to adjust. Their bodies and souls would be forever breached by a grey void, and they would lose purpose for anything they do. That's how the cult is designed; once you join, you're detached from the enemy for life.

Don't feel sorry for this kid. Feel sorry for the adult he will become.

No comments: