20080911

One thing I can say about Palin

She's getting people to care about politics. Especially women. Never mind all the polls, I'm talking about people I know in real life. People like the women in my family, friends at work, people who I know on a purely professional basis who are saying to me, "I know we're not supposed to discuss politics at work, but what's up with this Palin character?"

People whom I've never known to care about politics have suddenly grown a fire in them of sheer, unadulterated hatred. People who, even with Bush, have said "you know, I'd rather just not think about it." Suddenly I'm getting emails from aunts and distant friends, passing on things they've read about her, warnings and revealing facts about Palin's ruthless neo-con history. My lunch buddy getting all red in the face because his grandmother in Wisconsin is supporting the McCain-Palin ticket.

For several reasons, I believe the polls are wrong, and in some cases, intentionally misleading. A result of the pulls saying that the race is deadlocked is absolute panic and fear from people that McCain could be elected, and Palin with him. She is a true enemy. My father, a war veteran and himself an American politician, has started talking about leaving the country if they win. If those polls are true, and McCain somehow wins this one, people will not just be depressed for a couple weeks over the loss. There will be war, civil disobedience, people on the streets.

No comments: